Lesson 1: MEETING CHRIST
Meet a very special Person, and become personally acquainted with Him. We know of the President of the United States, but very few of us have ever personally met him. We believe that he exists, and we know a lot of facts about him, but we do not actually know him.
Most people have heard of Jesus Christ. They know and believe certain facts about Him: His birth, His teachings, His death and resurrection, but they never have met Him in a personal way so He could become their Saviour and Lord.
Many people look to Jesus as the perfect example after which to pattern their lives. His life was perfect, without flaw, above reproach and unmarred by sin. Even the Judge who condemned Him to death said, "I find no fault in Him"
But every honest person must admit that even though the pattern is perfect, he is unable to follow it. You must come to know Him as more than a good example.
A TEACHER OR PROPHET
While Jesus was on earth, great crowds came to hear Him speak and teach. The rich, the poor, the highly educated, and the common people all recognized that Jesus was a great Teacher, that He was "come from God"
His cleverest enemies failed to trap Him with their questions. But Jesus told the ruler of the Jews
that he needed to know more about Him than the fact that He was a great Teacher or a Prophet.
The Sunday before Jesus died, great crowds of people wanted to make Him their king. They were looking for someone to remove them from under the hand of Rome and restore their independence. But before they could know Him as King, they needed to meet Him in a different way, as their Redeemer.
A MARTYR OR A HERO
Everyone admires a hero, or a person who is martyred for a good cause, but Christ's death was not just a horrible mistake or an accident. It was for this purpose that Christ came into the world--to die. It was planned before the world began
I Peter 1:20).
Jesus could have called twelve legions of angels to help Him
Before you can meet Christ as your Saviour, you must understand four things.
Man was originally created for the glory of God
But this original purpose was interrupted by sin, and man became very evil and unprofitable
Now the sentence of death is over all men for "all have sinned"
and the sentence is already upon us
You need to be saved.
You cannot save yourself; salvation is a free gift
Christ has purchased salvation for you.
Christ has paid the penalty as your substitute; "Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree"
(I Peter 2:24).
"Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us"
You must believe and receive Jesus as your Saviour.
This is the way in which you must know Him. Jesus said: "Behold I stand at the door, and knock; if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to Him" (Rev. 3:20). "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his Name"
(John 1:12) .
If you will receive Him and the saving work which He has performed for you, then you also receive eternal life, for eternal life is in Him, the Son of God
I John 5:11-13).
You can know and understand all these things, but it will not help until you receive Him by faith into your heart.
1. The great purpose of the Bible is to give a history of the world
John 8:12, Peter is called the light of the world. True False
3. All men are willing to come to the light of Jesus
4. Those who do evil are afraid that their evil deeds will be reproved
5. If a man sins, he is the servant of sin
6. Jesus said in
that not believing on Him is a sin.
7. All men are sinners
8. The result of sin is death
. True False
9. The sinner is not under condemnation now, but will be when he dies
. True False
10. Christ came to condemn you
. True False
11. Even though man is sinful God loves him
. True False
12. Because Christ died for everyone, He will automatically save everyone
. True False
13. Jesus was proved guilty of several faults at His trial.
14. "For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust.
(your name _______________), that he might ______________ us to God"
(l Peter 3:18)
. "Who his own self bare our (your name_______________) sins in his own body on the tree."
15. Romans 6:23
teaches eternal life is a ________________________________.
16. You receive it by doing more good things than bad things
; Titus 3:5).
17. What are your "righteousnesses" (good works) like in God's sight?
18. Could there be another way to God?
; John 14:6
; Acts 4:12)
19. Jesus says: "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will __________________ to him"
20. "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them (your name_______________) that believe on his name"
21. If you say, "I'll take my place as a sinner, for all have sinned
I turn to Christ, the One who died in my place
(I Peter 3:18);
Jesus as my personal Saviour"
will He save you?
22. Have you received Him? ____________ When?
23. Do you believe He has saved you?
24. To whom did Thomas speak just after he believed?
25. Whom should you thank after you believe ?
26. What did Jesus tell the man in
Mark 5:19 to do?
Will you do the same?